greedy, insatiable, covetous.
greed.–– etmek to act greedily.
1. bitter (to the taste). 2. hot, peppery (to the taste). 3. rancid (butter); sour (wine). 4. bitter, penetrating (cold, wind). 5. poignant, very moving, sad. 6. caustic, hurtful, acerb, acerbic, biting (words). 7. harsh, severe (action). 8. painful, very disagreeable or difficult: acı bir hatıra a painful memory. acı bir tecrübe a painful experience. 9. (a color) of a somewhat glaring shade, that is almost garish. –– acı 1. poignantly, very movingly. 2. (aching) painfully. 3. harshly, bitterly, caustically. –– dil harsh words, biting words; reproach. –– kahve coffee made without sugar. –– kuvvet brute force. –– kuvvetli very strong. –– patlıcanı kırağı çalmaz. proverb A worthless person does not suffer hardship. –– son tragic end; tragic ending. –– su water which has a bitter taste (owing to the presence of minerals). –– tatlı 1. bittersweet, (something) which is a mixture of pain and pleasure: Acı tatlı birçok hatıramız var. We´ve a lot of memories, good and bad. 2. whatever (food): Acı tatlı ne varsa paylaşırız. We´ll share whatever food there is.
1. pain, ache. 2. bitterness, sharpness. 3. grief, sorrow (at someone´s death): Allah bu acıyı unutturmasın! May God spare you more grief! 4. mental pain, anguish, suffering, sorrow. ––sını almak /ın/ 1. to take the hot, bitter, or biting taste out of (a food). 2. to stop the pain in (a wound or hurt). 3. to assuage, soothe (a sorrow). ––sını bağrına basmak/içine gömmek to hide one´s distress or sorrow. –– çekmek/duymak to suffer (physically or mentally). ––sını çekmek /ın/ to pay the penalty of, pay for, suffer for. ––sını çıkarmak /ın/ 1. to take away the hot, bitter, or biting taste of (a food). 2. to make up for, compensate for. 3. to make (someone) suffer for, make (someone) pay for (a wrong). ––sı çıkmak /ın/ to suffer the consequences of, suffer for, pay for (an action) (at a given time): Bunun acısı er geç çıkar. Sooner or later you´ll have to suffer for this. –– dil harsh words, biting words; reproach. –– gelmek /a/ to hurt, distress. ––sını görmek /ın/ to suffer the death of (someone one loves). ––sı içine/yüreğine çökmek/işlemek /ın/ 1. to feel acutely the (mental) pain of (something). 2. to be tormented by (a possibility). –– katmak/koymak /a/ to add a peppery seasoning to (a food). ––sı tepesine çıkmak to suffer acutely (physically or mentally). –– yitimi analgesia.
1. angle. 2. point of view. –– çekimi cin. angle shot. –– uzaklığı astr. visual angle.
1. bitter almond. 2. slang tricky, shrewd, cunning; hard-boiled. –– kurabiyesi macaroon, almond cookie.
strange thing, curiosity.
1. bitterness. 2. mourning.
1. open. 2. unobstructed, free. 3. uncovered; naked, bare, exposed. 4. empty, clear, unoccupied. 5. spaced far apart, separated. 6. open for business, open. 7. clear, easy to understand; not in cipher. 8. not secret, in the open. 9. light (shade of color). 10. fortunate, promising. 11. obscene; suggestive. 12. open, defenseless, unprotected (city). 13. not roofed; not enclosed. 14. clear, cloudless, fine. 15. the open. 16. vacancy, job opening. 17. deficit, shortage. 18. excess of expense over income. 19. distance, space between. 20. outskirts; nearby place. 21. soccer wing, winger, player in a wing position. 22. open sea. 23. frank, open. 24. frankly, openly. ––ında/––larında naut. off ..., offshore. ––ta 1. outdoors, in the open air. 2. obvious, apparent. 3. naut. in the offing, offshore. 4. unemployed. –– açık openly, frankly. ––tan açığa openly. –– adım big step, wide step. –– ağızlı stupid, dim-witted. –– alınla with a clear conscience. ––a almak /ı/ to lay off (a government employee) temporarily. –– arazi mil. exposed terrain, unprotected terrain, open country. –– artırma sale by public auction. –– ateş mil. direct fire. ––ta bırakmak /ı/ 1. to leave (something) outdoors. 2. to leave out, exclude (a person from a privilege). 3. to leave (someone) without a home or a job. –– bono vermek /a/ 1. com. to give (someone) a blank check. 2. to give (someone) carte blanche, give (someone) freedom of action or complete control. ––ını bulmak to find something amiss. –– celse law public hearing. –– ciro blank endorsement, general endorsement. –– çek signed blank check. ––a çıkarılmak to be dismissed from work, be fired. ––a çıkarmak /ı/ 1. to fire (a government employee). 2. to bring (a matter) out into the open. ––a çıkmak 1. to be fired. 2. to become known, come out. ––ı çıkmak 1. (for one´s accounts) to show a shortage. 2. (for the inventory of property for which one is responsible) to show a shortage. –– deniz 1. law high seas. 2. the open sea. –– devre elec. open circuit, interrupted circuit. –– durmak to stand aside, not to interfere. –– duruşma law public hearing. ––ta eğlenmek to wait offshore without anchoring. –– eksiltme public bidding for a contract. –– elbise (a) revealing dress; (a) décolleté dress. –– elli open-handed, generous. –– ellilik open-handedness, generosity. –– fikirli broad -minded, enlightened, liberal-minded. –– gel! slang 1. Stay clear! 2. Come on, out with it! –– gelmek slang to stay away, not to come near. –– giyinmek to wear revealing clothes; to wear décolleté dresses. –– hava 1. open air, outdoor; fresh air. 2. clear weather. –– hava sineması open-air movie theater, open-air cinema. –– hava tiyatrosu open-air theater. –– hava toplantısı public protest meeting. –– hece gram. open syllable. –– imza signature on blank paper. ––ta kalmak/olmak to have lost one´s home or job, Brit. be up a gum tree. –– kalp ameliyatı open-heart surgery. –– kalpli open-hearted, candid. ––ı kapatmak to meet the deficit. –– kapı open door. –– kapı bırakmak /a/ to leave (someone) with some room for choice, leave (someone) with some leeway, not to tie (someone´s) hands. –– kapı politikası open-door policy. –– kart vermek /a/ to give (someone) carte blanche. –– konuşmak to be frank, talk frankly. –– kredi open credit, blank credit. –– liman 1. port unprotected from storms. 2. port without excessive formalities. 3. mil. unprotected port. ––lar livası colloq. the unemployed. –– maaşı half pay (while an employee is temporarily suspended). –– mektup 1. open letter. 2. unsealed letter. –– mevzi mil. exposed position. –– olmak /a/ 1. to be accessible (to). 2. to be receptive (to). –– ordugâh bivouac, temporary encampment. –– oturum panel discussion. –– oy open vote. –– oylama open voting. –– öğretim education modeled after that of an open university. ––ını örtmek to cover up one´s fraud. –– pazar open market. –– poliçe certificate of indebtedness issued before all the details are settled. –– saçık 1. off-color, risqué; bawdy. 2. indecent, immodest (clothing). 3. bawdily, lewdly. 4. (dressing) indecently, immodestly. –– saçık yayın pornography. –– seçik 1. definitely, clearly. 2. definite, clear. –– söylemek to speak openly. –– şehir mil. open city. –– taşıt open vehicle. –– teşekkür public acknowledgment of thanks. –– üniversite open university. –– vagon rail. flatcar. –– vermek 1. to have a deficit or shortage. 2. to lay oneself open to criticism. ––a vermek /ı/ to bring (a matter) out into the open, reveal, disclose. ––a vurmak 1. /ı/ to bring (a matter) out into the open, reveal, disclose. 2. (for a situation) to become apparent, become evident, become clear. ––ını yakalamak /ın/ to uncover (someone´s) fraud. –– yara open sore, open wound. –– yer vacancy. –– yürekle candidly, frankly. –– yürekli candid, frank. –– yüreklilik candor, frankness.
frankly, clearly, openly, plainly.
in plain words, in short, frankly speaking.
bear, short seller.
shrewd and alert, canny (when it comes to promoting his/her own interests).
shrewdness, canniness (in promoting his/her own interests). –– etmek to be quick to take advantage of an opportunity.
impersonal passive to feel hungry.
1. explanation, statement. 2. disclosure. 3. commentary. –– yapmak/––da bulunmak to make a statement.
/ı/ 1. to explain, clarify. 2. to disclose, make public, reveal. 3. to comment on.
to be explained, be announced, be disclosed.
/ı/ to lighten (a color).
1. touching, pathetic, sad, tragic. 2. mourning, grieving.
1. openness. 2. opening, gap. 3. space, open space, blank space. 4. aperture. 5. not being covered. 6. not being enclosed. 7. being without a roof. 8. clearness, cloudlessness. 9. lightness (shade of a color). 10. indecency. 11. clarity, unambiguity. 12. distinctness (in articulation). 13. astr. azimuth. –– getirmek/kazandırmak /a/ to throw light on, shed light on (a matter).
apertometer,device for measuring the aperture of the objective lens of a microscope.
to feel hungry.
1. (getting something) without working for it, for nothing. 2. (promoting someone, assigning someone to a position) over people who are both older and of a higher rank than himself. 3. (money) gained with no work. –– açığa openly, publicly, without any attempt at secrecy. –– gitmek naut. (for a ship) to sail at a great distance from the land. –– (para) kazanmak to get money without working for it.
/ı/ to make (someone) hungry.
1. urgent. 2. swift, quick. –– durum emergency. –– servis emergency room (in a hospital). –– şifalar dilemek /a/ to wish (someone) a speedy recovery (from an illness or injury). –– vaka emergency.
cin. shooting a scene from several angles.
/ı/ 1. to make (something) bitter, embitter. 2. to make (something) hot (to the taste), make (something) peppery. 3. to make (butter) rancid; to sour (wine). 4. to cause (someone) to grieve.
1. to grieve. 2. see acılaşmak.
1. to go bitter, develop a bitter taste. 2. to get a bitter taste (in one´s mouth): Ağzı acılandı. She got a bitter taste in her mouth. 3. (for butter) to become rancid; (for wine) to go sour. 4. (for a cry, a sound) to become poignant. 5. (for words) to become caustic.
/ı/ 1. to make (something) bitter, embitter. 2. to make (something) hot (to the taste), make (something) peppery. 3. to make (butter) rancid; to sour (wine). 4. to cause (a color) to become rather glaring. 5. to cause (a cry, a sound) to become poignant. 6. to cause (words) to become caustic.
/ı/ 1. to make (something) bitter, embitter. 2. to make (something) hot (to the taste), make (something) peppery. 3. to make (butter) rancid; to sour (wine). 4. to cause (a color) to become rather glaring.
without delay, hastily; urgently.
1. (food) to which something bitter has been added, bitter. 2. (food) to which something peppery has been added, hot, peppery. 3. (someone) who is mourning; grief stricken; mournful. 4. mournfully.
1. bitterness, bitter taste. 2. hotness, pepperiness (in the taste of something). 3. rancidness (of butter); sourness (of wine). 4. bitterness, penetrating nature (of cold or wind). 5. poignancy; pain; sadness. 6. causticity, hurtfulness, acerbity, bitingness (of words). 7. harshness, severity (of an action). 8. painfulness, extreme disagreeableness. 9. rather glaring nature (of a color).
expansion, opening out.
1. opening, being opened. 2. opening (ceremony). –– bilançosu opening balance. –– töreni opening ceremony.
1. being opened, opening. 2. cin. fade-in. 3. bot. dehiscence. 4. sports extended formation.
1. to be opened; to open. 2. to come open, open of its own accord. 3. /a/ to open out (as a window) into (a garden). 4. (for darkness, sleep) to vanish. 5. to be cleaned. 6. (for weather) to clear. 7. to clear up, be refreshed; to recover. 8. to relax, be at ease. 9. /a/ to confide (in), share a secret (with). 10. to become more spacious, open up. 11. /a/ to put out (to sea). 12. /dan/ to come up (in conversation). 13. (for a job or post) to open up. 14. to be extravagant, overspend. 15. to dehisce. açılır kapanır collapsible, folding. açılıp saçılmak 1. (for a woman) to start to wear revealing clothes, start to dress immodestly. 2. (for a woman) to become dissolute, get tarty. 3. to spend money lavishly.
1. revelation, divine inspiration. 2. med. incision.
1. pity, compassion. 2. ache, aching, painfulness.
1. to hurt, give pain, feel sore, ache. 2. /a/ to pity, feel compassion for. 3. /a/ to be unable to give up (something); to feel sorrow for (the loss or waste of something), regret. 4. (for butter, oil) to become bitter, turn rancid.
1. commentary, commenting. 2. paraphrase, paraphrasis.
/ı/ 1. to comment (on). 2. to paraphrase.
,acımtırak somewhat bitter.
,-nı slang a penniless but generous person.
pitiable, deplorable; miserable.
geom., biol. development.